Friday, July 27, 2012

What a difference a year makes...

July 27th, 2011--one year ago today, we found out that we were expecting a baby.  We had been purposeful about trying for a baby, and Thursday January 27th was the first day that I could take a test and see accurate results.  First thing that morning (apparently morning pee is best for these things), I took care of business, and we eagerly awaited the appearance of that little pink line.  After waiting the required three hours minutes, Chris and I walked into the bathroom together...

That life-changing pink line

My response was, "Well, there ya go", and Chris just grinned.  He then went on to get ready for work, but forget to shave.  Guess his mind was elsewhere. :)  I went about my normal business (actually, I went in for a dental cleaning), and tried to wrap my head around this life changing news. I knew our lives would change, but I don't know that anything could have prepared me for the highs, lows, joy, exhaustion, and incredible changes that have happened in our lives this year.  I've seen our marriage grow into a supportive partnership; a team focused on the success of another human.   It's pretty awesome.  I've seen my body change and react and rise to the occasion in ways I couldn't have imagined.  And (my personal favorite), I've gotten to see my already wonderful husband become a daddy.  I've literally gotten to watch love take seed and grow in his heart, and it has been the most amazing thing to see.  I've seen him step up into his role as leader of our family in such a real and powerful way, and it has been such an honor to have him walk beside me during this year.  

About six weeks along...supposedly you may be able hear a heartbeat.  I could not. :)

Our first glimpse of that sweet little nugget; 8 weeks along

Around 21 weeks along; when we found out that he was a  he

And at 38 weeks, on my way to the hospital to meet Mr. Collier

It's also kind of crazy to think of the undertaking that it has been within Collier's little body from one year ago to today.  One year ago, when we found out that he was on his way, he was a little cluster of cells; barely differentiated, and the size of a poppyseed.  Since then, he's developed tissues, organs, systems that work to digest, communicate, learn, feel, remember, and fight infections.  He's hundreds of times bigger than he was, and there were millions of things that had to happen just perfectly for him to be here in our arms.  The miracle is, they did.  If that's not proof that God rains his blessings on us over and over, I don't know what is.

From poppyseed to preciousness in one year's time.  Good job, God!

No comments:

Post a Comment