Saturday, August 4, 2012

We made it!!

I've officially made it through my first week back at work!  I was so happy to be able to ease back into things.  This week, I spent three days just going into school in the mornings to work in my room, before our first required day back on Thursday.  I'm so happy (relieved, surprised) to report that we have all done better than I anticipated.  I teared up some on Monday morning, but we made it through the majority of our goodbyes this week with no waterworks.  Also, Collier seems to be doing GREAT at the sitter's.  He's eating wonderfully from his bottle (relief), and taking amazing naps (jealous) for our sweet sitter, Ryan.  While I'm sure that I'll always be worrying about our bug a little bit, this week has proven that I have much less to fret over than I had thought I might.  

Our big man, ready for his first day at school! :)
As I returned to my classroom to get set up for the year (a huge challenge, by the way, because I was packed and moved from my old classroom to a new one while I was on maternity leave.  I had no clue where anything was!), I had a total "God moment".  Don't you just love those?  So, on Monday morning, I decided to tackle my desk area first.  Some of my teacher-friends had packed me up, but I had to dig trough several boxes and sort through a lot of stuff.  At any rate, as I'm sorting, I stumble upon this, left for me by one of my former students for Mother's Day. 

Sweet, right?  Well, it just so happens that this little sweetie (who wasn't so sweet when he was in my class) doesn't have a mom in his life.  He and I spent lots of time "discussing his behavior" (teacher-speak for me lecturing him about his misbehaviors) and I didn't think that he cared for me one bit.  As I read his sweet card, God's voice was clear to me...I am called to mother more than just my biological child.  He's called me to mother the kiddos that walk into my classroom each day, because I have more influence on them than I think I do.  That little reminder makes going back to work just a little easier.
Now...only 37 weeks of school until summer. :)

1 comment:

  1. I admire you! Let's have a date soon! Although I'm thinking it'll probably be next Sunday..? Love you! -ama

    ReplyDelete