Saturday, November 10, 2012

It's really been 10 years?!?!

When my friends from high school started making posts on facebook about planning for our 10 year reunion, I couldn't believe it.  How has it already been a decade?  When I really think about it, so much has happened over the past 10 years, and I'm just not the same person I was then.  I'm pretty sure that's a good thing.  When I was 18, I was....well, a normal 18 year old.  Selfish, short-sighted, and (dare we say) with a tendency to make bad decisions.  The experiences I've been blessed enough to have over the past 10 years--college, getting married, working, becoming a mother--have shaped me into...well, into a grown up.  God has truly used the past decade to shape me into someone that I am much prouder to be, and He's continuing to work me into the woman that He wants me to be.  And I don't think you could pay me enough to go back and be 18 again (well, the flat tummy might be nice :).

Blast from the past!  My senior yearbook photo


At any rate, we jumped at the opportunity to take a road trip to NC to visit with old friends, and catch up with new ones (Collier-sized ones!) over the last weekend in October.

Ready for a road trip!



We stopped at Cracker Barrel (we made it an hour from the house.. :) where Collier was verrry popular. Fish fry night, plus small town equals a dining room full of Papas, Mimis, Grandmas, and Grandpas who were more than willing to make funny faces at Collier. We then did our modified bedtime routine (bath with a wipe, pajamas and nursing) in the parking lot, during which C decided to pee all over our front seat of the car, and laugh about it. ;)

Collier slept well in the car, and we arrived in Shelby around 2 am. Suffice it to say that we haven't stayed up that late on purpose in quite a while!! We had a great day on Saturday, and I got to catch up with some girlfriends from high school over lunch at Bridges BBQ (for those of you who aren't aware, BBQ is quite an art form in NC--there's "Lexington BBQ", with peppery vinegar-based sauce, "Shelby BBQ", with a sweeter vinegar-based sauce, and "Eastern NC BBQ", served with white cole slaw). I had a wonderful time catching up with Morgan, Lauren, Lindsey, and Maureen. Collier had a great time getting to know Miss Josie Kate--Lindsey's adorable daughter, who's exactly one month older than Collier is. We joked that they were on a date.

Lindsey and I, with Collier and Josie Kate
Some good lookin' Golden Lions:  Morgan, Lauren, Lindsey, me, and Maureen.  How I loved catching up with these ladies!  

On Saturday afternoon, after a nap with daddy, we met another sweet friend, Caroline, along with her hubby Andrew, and their 2 year old, Bradford. Caroline was my first friend in Shelby; we met at vacation Bible school the summer before 5th grade. It is so sweet to be able to see old friends and catch up!

Since the actual reunion party had been cancelled due to lack of participation (boo), we spent Saturday night with the Mullens, including a great dinner, and a rousing game of 5 crowns. I lost horribly (and was admittedly not the greatest sport about it), but we had a great time!

Maureen was one of my truest friends all throughout high school.  I can't count the number of hours I spend at the Mullen's house!

Collier loving on his Aunt Reen


On Sunday, we drove back as far as Knoxville. We had hoped to visit the zoo, but the weather didn't cooperate, so we just puttered around. We lived in Knoxville for 5 years, and it's strange how much it still feels like home. We spent Sunday night in a hotel--Collier's first time in a hotel room. He loved the mirrored closet doors and made lots of friends at the continental breakfast. Another bright spot is, after 7 months, we have finally figured out how to work our pack and play. :)

Enjoying some hotel-room cartoons

Guys!  We have got to get some of these for our house!

We loved taking our time getting back home, and were able to meet my grandparents, Collier's Great-Grandparents, for lunch on Monday.  
All bundled up for our lunch date!  It was cooold!
All in all, we had a wonderful road trip, and mini-vacation!  It was so great to catch up with old friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment