Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Collier's First Easter

Happy Easter, everyone!

Collier was three weeks old on his first Easter, and we had a pretty low key day.  We went to church (let me tell you, making it to our 8:30 church service with all three of us dressed and fed is a major accomplishment--way to go Cowan family!) and Sunday school.  Then my dad and stepmom, Collier's Grandpa and Nana, came over for lunch.  We vegged out at watched the final round of the Master's and took naps.  All in all, a great day!  

But this year, Easter brought about some different thoughts and feelings for me.  Of course, both Chris and I have always known that Easter is a reason to celebrate our risen Savior, and we know how important it is that we explain this meaning to Collier.  But this year, the gravity of the sacrifice that our Father made for us in sending his son to die for my sins hit a little closer to home.  Our Sunday school teacher read us a selection from one of her favorite authors, Rev. Claypool.  It focused on the true miracle of mercy that Easter is.  The cliffs notes of this reading: Imagine sending your son, your only, precious son, to a group of people to help them.  Then imagine standing by as they persecute, beat, torture, mock, and kill him.  Then (this is the miraculous part), imagine sending your son BACK to these people again, in order to forgive their sins.  That's the resurrection.

This reading knocked me to my knees.  My own son is only three weeks old, and he is so precious to me.  I already can't imagine life without him.  Not that I'm comparing my son to THE Son, but I can tell already that the love of a parent is deep.  Imagining the sacrifice, and then the following mercy, that God the Father showed to us in the resurrection is just too much for me to handle.  The depth of love and mercy and grace that is shown to me, a sinner, in the resurrection is so humbling, and something I saw in a whole new light this year.  Here's hoping that you know this love--it can change your life.  

Now for some cuteness...



Collier had a visit from the Easter bunny!  He got books and toys.  Look how excited he is!
Close up of some serious preciousness :)
We thought it might be cute if we put him in his Easter basket.  Collier did not think it was cute at all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment