Sunday, February 5, 2012

Holy spinach cupcake, Batman!

My friend Shannon (who also had gestational diabetes) lent me a cookbook called "The Sneaky Chef" (by Missy Chase Lapine) It's all about making over yummy recipes to make them healthy--usually by sneaking in veggies. This is good news for me, because veggies are lower in carbs than "normal" junk food. So, i decided my mission for this weekend was "Choc-ful Cupcakes". I looked over the ingredients, and was immediately skeptical--I mean, spinach in a cupcake? Wheat Germ? Give me a break. No WAY can this be good. But, Shannon claimed that they were, so...here goes!

4 Tbs butter
1/2 c semisweet chocolate chips
1 egg
2 tsp vanilla
3/4 purple purée (3 c frozen spinach, 1 1/2 c frozen blueberries, 1 tsp lemon juice, 3 Tbs water)
1/2 cup sugar (I used Stevia)
1 cup flour blend (equal parts all purpose flour, whole wheat flour, and wheat germ)
2 Tbs cocoa powder
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

1. Melt butter and chocolate chips in microwave (do 15 second intervals and stir). Allow to cool some.

2. Stir egg, vanilla, purple purée, and sugar (Stevia) together. Add chocolate and butter mixture.

3. Stir together dry ingredients, and add to chocolate.


At this point, I could still see spinach chunks (gross!)--not a believer yet. But...20-25 minutes in the oven (at 350) and voila! Chocolate cupcakes! Sort of. They were more dense than "real" cupcakes, but topped with cool whip (which, according to my diet counselor, is a "free food") they were actually really good! The chocolate overpowered the spinach flavor, which is never a bad thing. I think they'd be a great option for kiddos who don't want to eat veggies. Maybe I'll try the cauliflower Mac and cheese next!!

No comments:

Post a Comment