Friday, May 18, 2012

My first Mother's Day

I remember when I was little, trying to make Mother's Day special for my mom. I'd make a home-made card (which I'm sure was a fantastic display of construction paper and glitter), pick flowers (or dandelions from the yard), and go with my dad to choose a gift (I'm sure she needed another bathrobe). Isn't it fitting that we set aside a day to celebrate Moms? Mine is pretty awesome. She taught me a lot (topping the list...how to sew and make a grocery list organized into departments at the grocery store. Brilliant!), and has always loved me like no one else. As a mom for the first time, I can say with certainty that a Mother's love is something completely different than anything I've ever experienced. I read once that choosing to become a mother is choosing to forever have your heart walking around outside of your body. So true! Now I better understand how my own mother loves me, and that's pretty cool.

But Mother's Day isn't just about celebrating the moms who gave us life...it's about celebrating all of the women who mother...those who teach, heal, love, and serve those around them. I don't think it's birth that makes you a mother, it's love.

Sorry for the sappy sound-off. :) Now, for some cuteness! Look what I woke up to Sunday morning. Two super cute guys to love on me. Love these two!

No comments:

Post a Comment